Compote is a dessert which originates from Medieval Europe. This spiced poached red papaya compote recipe will prove why this dessert has lasted centuries long.
- 1 medium red papaya (peeled, deseeded & cut into chunks)
- 4 tbsp dried cranberries
- 1 lime (juiced & strips of zest)
- 2 cinnamon quills
- 2 star anise
- 5 tbsp sugar
- 2 cups water
- Pour water into a saucepan, add sugar, lime juice and lime zest, cinnamon quills and star anise. Bring to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes. Add red papaya and cranberries, bring back to the boil and simmer for a further 2-3 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and set aside to cool.
- Can be eaten with cereal for breakfast or with ice cream for dessert.
Recipe courtesy of Australian Papaya.
Have you ordered your copy of the Over60 cookbook, The Way Mum Made It, yet? Featuring 175 delicious tried-and-true recipes from you, the Over60 community, and your favourites that have appeared on the Over60 website, head to the abcshop.com.au to order your copy now.