Saltimbocca literally means “jumps in the mouth” and it’s not hard to see why with this tasty supper. Butterflying and tenderising the chicken breast is worth the extra effort – it will allow the fillets to cook quickly and for the Serrano ham to crisp up beautifully.
- 400g pumpkin, skin removed and cut into 2cm pieces
- Two teaspoons of butter
- Three sprigs of sage, leaves removed
- 100g Serrano ham
- 350g chicken breast, butterflied and tenderised
- Clove garlic, peeled and thinly sliced
- 100g green beans, trimmed
- 1/2 lemon, cut into wedges
- Preheat the oven to 220ºC/200ºC fan-forced.
- Place the pumpkin in a large saucepan of salted water. Cover and bring to the boil. Cook for 10 minutes or until tender. Drain. Return to the saucepan and generously season with salt and pepper. Mash with a potato masher or fork until smooth. Cover to keep warm.
- Meanwhile, in a medium ovenproof frying pan heat the butter over a medium-high heat. Fry the sage leaves until crispy, then remove from the pan.
- Layer up your saltimbocca by starting with a slice of Serrano ham on the bottom, topped with a piece of chicken breast, some of the crispy sage leaves, and then another piece of Serrano ham. Place the frying pan back over a medium-high heat. Add the layered chicken and cook for one minute on each side and then transfer to the oven for 10 minutes or until cooked through.
- Meanwhile, in a small frying pan, add a dash of olive oil and the garlic and fry for 1-2 minutes, or until fragrant. Add the green beans and cook, tossing, for 1-2 minutes, or until heated through and slightly tender.
- To serve, divide the pumpkin mash and garlic beans between plates. Top the mash with the saltimbocca chicken. Serve with the lemon wedges.
Top tip: To tenderise the butterflied chicken, bash it with a meat mallet or rolling pin. This is an important step to ensure your chicken cooks evenly in the allocated time.
Mmm, doesn’t that sound delicious?
Recipe courtesy of Hello Fresh.
Have you ordered your copy of the Over60 cookbook, The Way Mum Made It, yet? Featuring 175 delicious tried-and-true recipes from you, the Over60 community, and your favourites that have appeared on the Over60 website, head to the abcshop.com.au to order your copy now.